British food has been significantly influenced from various Britain ruled countries. British cuisine is mainly the culinary tradition and set of cooking rules followed in United Kingdom. It is the perfect combination of various regional and national cuisine varieties such as English, Welsh and Scottish cuisines. Anglo-Indian Chicken tikka masala is known as the real Britain’s national dish. Some of the well known British recipes include fish and chips, the Sunday roast, steak and kidney pie, and bangers and mash. Moreover, some regional or local dishes are Arbroath Smokie, Welsh cakes, Cheshire cheese, the and Yorkshire pudding.
Classification of British Food
British food can be classified as per following regional cuisines: Anglo-Indian cuisine: It is a perfect combination of cooking style followed in both Britain and India. Some of the popular Anglo-Indian recipes are kedgeree, salted beef tongue, fish rissoles, and mulligatawny. Most of the recipes are made up of Indian ingredients blended with British cooking style.
- English cuisine: The food influenced from the climate of England is known as English cuisine. It basically includes cooking ideas and ingredients from various places like North America, China and southern Asia. The whole of English cuisine was developed during British Empire and immigration.
- Gibraltarian cuisine: The Gibraltarian cuisine has a lot of influence on the British food. The culinary influences on British cuisine include cooking styles of Malta, Genoa, Portugal, Andalusia and England.
- Northern Irish cuisine: Northern Irish cuisine is the food from Northern Ireland and island of Ireland. One of the most popular and widely appreciated Northern Irish dishes is the Ulster Fry. Moreover, the oldest whiskey producers are also situated in Old Bushmills Distillery in Bushmills, County Antrim.
- Scottish cuisine: The culinary tradition and set of cooking rules followed in Scotland are known as Scottish cuisine. Some of the traditional Scottish recipes are haggis and shortbread. Moreover, Scotland is also known for the delicious beef, potatoes and oats recipes.
- Welsh cuisine: The traditional and regional British cuisine is widely influenced by the Welsh cuisine. Walsh food is widely popular for the sheep and lamb meat.
History and Culture of British Food
British food is known as an assortment of diverse cooking styles and preparations. It is mainly influenced by the Romans in prehistoric era and by the French in medieval times. The culture of spices was brought here by Frankish Normans during invade. Various spices like cinnamon, saffron, mace, nutmeg, pepper and ginger were brought here from the east. Sugar also got noticed at this time and was also appreciated as a rare & expensive spice. The Medieval cookery books are the only record of dishes that use every spice in the available.
British Recipes Popular in Foreign Culture
There is large range of British food that is extremely popular in foreign culture. The traditional British recipes are substantial, simple to make and wholesome. The British recipes that are widely appreciated all around the world are listed below:
• Beefsteak, Oyster, and Kidney Pudding
• Black Pudding: This is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled.
• Cock-a-Leekie: It is a Scottish soup dish of leeks and chicken stock.
• Crown Roast Lamb • Eccles Cake: It is a small, round cake filled with currants and made from puff pastry
• Hasty Pudding: It is basically a pudding or porridge of grains cooked in milk or water.
• Irish Stew: It is a traditional Irish stew made from lamb, beef or mutton
• Likky Pie Leeks: It is a simple savory leek pie that can be served as a side during holidays.
• Mincemeat: It is a perfect combination of distilled spirits, chopped dried fruit, spices, sometimes beef suet, beef, and venison.
• Mulligatawny Soup: This soup has a turmeric-like yellow color and is garnished with parsley and chicken.
• Syllabub: It is a traditional English dessert made from rich milk.
• Trifle: It is a type of dessert made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake, fruit juice.
• Welsh Faggots: A faggot is a kind of meatball. Faggots are a traditional dish in the UK.
• Welsh Rabbit (or Rarebit): It is a dish made with a savoury sauce of melted cheese.
• Westmoreland Pepper Cake: It is a fruitcake made up of honey, cloves, ginger, and walnuts
Popular Chefs of British Food
In recent times, the popularity of British recipes is continuously increasing. This has made several big chefs to write their own cookery books on British food.
Some of the popular and well known British food chefs are mentioned below:
• Fanny Cradock
• Robert Carrier
• Delia Smith
• Gordon Ramsay
• Nigella Lawson
• Jamie Oliver