Fish Florentine Casserole - Perfect for Christmas Eve
|For the sauce|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Philadelphia cream cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|For the mashed potato|
|Russet potato||2 Pound, boiled, peeled, mashed|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, cut into pieces|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Lemon herb salt||1 Teaspoon|
|For the fish|
|Haddock fillets||4 Large (any white firm fish)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Spinach leaves||6 Cup (96 tbs), cooked, drained, squeezed to dry|
1. SAUCE: In a saucepan over medium heat add the stock, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and bring it to boil. Add the cream cheese and let it melt while stirring continuously. Cook for a few more minutes and sprinkle thyme. Mix well and turn off the heat. Let it cool completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For The Mashed Potato
3. In a bowl put the boiled potato, milk and butter. Mash well till smooth. Add the egg yolk and continue to mash till incorporated.
4. Season with lemon herb salt and using an electric beater mix the mash well till fluffy. Set aside.
For The Casserole
5. In a baking dish arrange the fish fillets in a single layer. Season it with lemon herb salt. Spread the well squeezed spinach leaves on top.
6. Over this pour the cooled sauce and finally spread the mashed potatoes on top. Using a fork, spread the potatoes evenly and make a decorative pattern.
7. Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes or till the potato is golden brown. Remove from the oven, cover with a foil and let it sit for around 15 minutes, for the juices to settle, before slicing to serve.
8. Serve the fish casserole hot with any salad or veggies of choice or enjoy as it is.
After step 6, it can be covered with a foil and stored in the fridge to be baked just before serving time.
Calories 493 Calories from Fat 250
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.6%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98.6 mg32.9%
Sodium 778.3 mg32.4%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.6%
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 17 g34.9%
Vitamin A 71.6% Vitamin C 40%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet