Pork and Irish Potatoes By Good Food Ireland
|Pork belly with rind on||1 Kilogram|
|Sea salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Thyme||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Garlic cloves||2 , crushed|
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Onions||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Cooking apple||1 , coarsely chopped|
|For the pear chutney|
|Comice pears||4 , diced (ripe)|
|Cooking apple||1 , diced|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Brown sugar||150 Gram|
|Cider vinegar||120 Milliliter|
|Chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|For the potatoes|
|Maris piper/Rooster potatoes||1 Kilogram|
|Duck fat||1 Tablespoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Place all the ingredients in a heavy based pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 45mins-1hour.
3. To prepare the pork belly, score the skin with a knife, taking care not to pierce the flesh, rub the sea salt generously on the flesh side and the skin.
4. Lay the vegetables in a large dish deep enough to hold the vegetables and the belly sitting on top.
5. Fill the tray half way up the sides with water, cover with tin foil or a lid and cook for 4-5hours. Checking halfway to top up the water.
6. While this is cooking, the belly should give way when poked the back of a wooden spoon. It should be nice and tender.
7. Carefully remove the belly, reserving the juices for stock for soups or sauces. And lay on parchment paper on a deep dish, lay another sheet on top of this and a second tray, weighing down the belly with tins of beans, this will give the belly a nice shape and for ease of cutting. Leave over night to set.
8. Slice the pork belly into nice squares or rectangles, giving one per portion.
9. Heat a frying pan with a little oil and place the pork skin side down, fry untill crispy,
10. Turn and brown on the bottom, place on a sheet of tin foil in the oven at 200’c for 10-15mins until golden.
11. Heat another pan, add the butter and tbsp of oil, the fry the potatoes until golden brown, add the fennel seeds and season.
12. Serve the belly with the potatoes and a good lashing of chutney, and garnish with broccoli enjoy!
Calories 669 Calories from Fat 205
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.9%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.6 mg35.5%
Sodium 140.2 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.2%
Sugars 30.5 g
Protein 37 g74.3%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 2.1%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet