Lemon Meringue Pie
|Granulated sugar||260 Gram (1 1/4 cups)|
|Cornstarch||66 Gram (6 tablespoons)|
|Water||500 Milliliter (2 cups)|
|Egg yolks||4 , beaten|
|Lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup (3-5 lemons))|
|Butter||43 Gram (3 tablespoons)|
|Deep dish pie shell||1 (Blind baked 9" deep)|
|Egg whites||5 (at room temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Instant dissolving sugar||45 Gram (1/3 cup, fruit sugar)|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F or 200 degree C.
2. In a pot, mix cornstarch, sugar, salt, and water. Place the pot over medium-high heat, stir constantly and bring it to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 minutes, still stirring.
4. Remove the pot from heat, temper the egg yolks and then whisk back into the pot. Cook over medium heat, still stirring for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and butter. Mix well and set aside.
6. In a bowl, combine egg whites with cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form.
7. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
8. Into blind baked 9-inch pie shell, pour the filling.
9. While the filling is still hot, pile the meringue on top, starting at edge, making sure that they touch the crust.
10. Spread it over filling making peaks.
11. Pop in oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes until meringue peaks are golden. Let cool on a rack.
12. Cut in slices and serve!
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.9%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 83.3 mg27.8%
Sodium 131.6 mg5.5%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 0.47 g1.9%
Sugars 31 g
Protein 3 g5.5%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 12.8%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 1.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet