Hot Cross Buns
|Cinnamon stick||1 , halved|
|Nutmeg||1 Teaspoon, grounded|
|Caster sugar||55 Gram (50g + 1 tsp)|
|Strong flour||450 Gram|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Mixed fruit||200 Gram|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|For bun cross|
|Plain flour||4 Tablespoon|
|For egg wash|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
1. In a measuring cup pour in the milk and add in cinnamon stick, cloves and nutmeg powder.
2. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, take out and stir. Again microwave for 30 seconds.
3. In a large mixing bowl add in the flour and butter. Mix well with hands.
4. Add in the 50 gram of caster sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir well with spatula.
5. Make a well into the mixture and pour in the eggs and half of milk mixture through sieve. Mix with spatula. Pour in some more milk, yeast and 1 tsp. of caster sugar. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Sprinkle the dry flour over the kitchen counter and scrape out the dough from bowl. Knead the dough for few minutes.
7. Grease a bowl with butter and place the dough into that bowl. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place on a warm place for 120 minutes.
8. Take out the dough and place in large mixing bowl. Add in the mixed fruits and knead again. You can use more flour if needed.
9. Divide the dough into small portions and give bun shape. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and place the buns on that let it sit for sometimes until it becomes double in size.
10. For cross – in a bowl add in the flour and water. Mix well with a fork.
11. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
12. Make cross, over the buns using the flour mixture.
13. Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees C.
14. Meanwhile in a bowl mix together egg and water to make egg wash.
15. Take out the buns after 15 minutes and glaze the top with egg was. Bake in oven again for 10 minutes.
16. Serve Hot Cross Buns with milk, tea or coffee.