Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese
|Ditalini pasta||1 Pound (macaroni, or any pasta of your choice)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pancetta||4 Ounce, diced (Optional)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|White cheddar cheese||5 Ounce, grated (sharp)|
|Gouda cheese||3 Ounce, grated|
|Gruyere cheese||5 Ounce, grated|
|Panko||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven at 400*F.
2. In a saucepan with salted boiling water, put in the pasta and allow to cook as per the packet instructions.
3. Meanwhile, in a pot, heat butter and stir in pancetta, until it gets light browns and crispy.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta in a plate and keep aside.
5. In the same pot, sprinkle in all-purpose flour and cook whisking continuously it for about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Stream in little bit of milk at a time and whisk it well after each addition.
7. Add in all the cheeses to the pot and sprinkle with nutmeg, whisk well.
8. Using a slotted ladle, drain the boiled pasta and add in to the cheese sauce.
9. Stir in the fried pancetta and turn off the heat.
For the topping
10. In a mixing bowl, put together panko, cheese and parsley, and stir well to mix.
11. Sprinkle the panko mixture all over the macaroni and cheese, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 F.
12. Serve hot as desired.
Calories 609 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.8%
Saturated Fat 16.3 g81.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 86.8 mg28.9%
Sodium 614 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.9%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 27 g54.5%
Vitamin A 13.9% Vitamin C 0.02%
Calcium 52.6% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet