The Willems family have been making Coolea on their farm in Macroom, Co Cork since 1979. They moved from the Netherlands to Ireland in the 1970’s. Gouda was impossible to get locally at the time so they wrote home for a recipe and the rest is history. This is a mild, semi firm cheese when young and is intensely full flavored when mature.
1 , thinly sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoon, divided (1 tbsp. for the tomato)
1⁄2 , juice extracted
8 Ounce (red and yellow)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Bunch (100 gm), washed and teared
3 Tablespoon (Shaved)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. For Vinaigrette – In a bowl, whisk the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, and set aside.
3. Over the prepared baking sheet place the grape tomatoes. Drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
4. In a small bowl mix together the pecans, melted butter, salt and pepper.
5. Spread the pecans on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
6. Take out the tomatoes and allow to cool.
7. In a large serving bowl place fennel and arugula, add tomatoes and pecans.
8. Shave Coolea Cheese on top of salad, pour in vinaigrette and toss.
9. Serve Coolea Arugula Salad with roasted chicken.