Portuguese Kale & Potato Soup
|Chorizo sausage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Russet potatoes||3 Large, peeled|
|Kale||5 Cup (80 tbs), stalks removed, chopped|
|Chicken broth||1 Quart|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch (as needed, to taste)|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch, freshly cracked (as needed, to taste)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
1) Cut the chorizo sausage into chunks.
2) Dice 2 peeled potato into large chunks and 1 potato into small pieces.
3) In a skillet, cook chorizo sausage over medium heat until well browned. Remove from the skillet, drain on paper towels and set aside.
4) Place a large heavy bottom pot over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, garlic and onions.
5) Season with kosher salt and black pepper, stir and saute for about 5 minutes.
6) Pour in the chicken broth, kale and 2 diced potato chunks. Cover the pot and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
7) Mash potatoes up, then add 3 cups water, season with kosher salt and black pepper.
8) Then add the previously cooked chorizo and small diced potatoes. Stir to mix and cook for another 15 minutes.
9) Taste the soup and a adjust the seasonings, if needed.
10) Ladle the soup into soup bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve hot.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 203
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.2 mg8.7%
Sodium 990.9 mg41.3%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.3%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 11 g22.6%
Vitamin A 257.6% Vitamin C 182.5%
Calcium 14% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet