Warming Winter Gruel
|Sweet potato||1 Large|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium|
|Lavage stalk||1 Medium|
|Fennel stalks||3 Medium|
|Bay leaf stalk||1 Large|
|Baby carots||8 Small|
|Steak||4 Pound, cut to cubes|
|Dumplings||500 Gram (1 pack)|
|Barley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Peel the marrow. Cut it into 4 pieces.
2. Slice each piece further into half. Scoop out the core and seeds. Cut them to large pieces.
3. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut it into large pieces.
4. Chop 1 cabbage leaf finely. Keep the rest as it is to be added to the gruel.
5. Chop the celery stalks into large pieces.
6. Take a large pot filled with water. Heat it.
7. Put in the steak, marrow, cabbage, carrots, barley, fennel, bay leaves, lovage and celery. Allow it to come to boil and then simmer till the sauce reduces to half.
8. In the meanwhile, follow the instructions on the pack and prepare the dumplings.
9. Take some amount of the stock from the simmering pot. Pour it into another pan and cook the dumplings till done.
10. Add the cooked dumplings to the simmering gruel.
11. Put in the sweet potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes or till it is soft.
12. Remove from heat.
13. In a serving bowl, pour the gruel with the vegetables and dumplings and serve hot.