1. Wash the asparagus well.
2. Then hold each asparagus spear between your hands and bend it until it snaps in half.
3. Discard the thick, woody end or, better still, keep them for soups or stocks.
4. Carefully peel the remaining stalk thinly using a vegetable peeler.
5. Trim the base of each spear to make them all roughly the same length.
6. Pre-heat the grill to hot.
7. Bring a pan of shallow water to the boil and add salt to taste.
8. Carefully add the asparagus spears and simmer gently until the tips are just tender for about 4–5 minutes.
9. Remove the asparagus from the water, drain well and keep warm.
10. Meanwhile, place the pancetta rashers on a baking tray and place under the hot grill, turning over once. Grill the pancetta until slightly crispy.
11. Remove from the grill.
12. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
13. Neatly place the asparagus spears onto warmed plates.
14. Pour over the melted butter and add a twist or two of freshly milled black pepper.
15. Using tongs, arrange two rasher of pancetta on top of each plate of asparagus and serve immediately.