Creamy Pumpkin Polenta Two Ways
|Olive oil/Clarified butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Walnut||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Sage leaves||5 Small, rolled and sliced (chiffonade style)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon ((or to taste))|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon ((or to taste))|
|2% lactaid milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pumpkin puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Polenta||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsly ground|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon, packed|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla paste/1 teaspoon vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Pomegranate molasses||4 Tablespoon ((1 tablespoon per serving)|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh pomegranate arils||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((seeds))|
1. In a small sauté pan, heat olive oil or clarified butter.
2. Add chopped walnuts and sage. Cook over medium heat until walnuts begin to smell toasty and sage is curled.
3. Turn off heat and leave on warm stove top while polenta is prepared.
4. In a heavy bottomed 2 quart sauce pot whisk Lactaid milk and pumpkin puree together.
5. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; when mixture begins to boil; stir in polenta slowly so it does not clump.
6. Continue to cook stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until polenta is thick and creamy.
7. Remove from heat and scoop half the mixture out into a heat proof glass bowl; set aside.
8. To plate the savory polenta; stir in salt and black pepper to taste. Divide among four serving dishes for appetizer or two for a side dish. Top each with some of the warm walnut sage topping. Serve immediately.
9. To prepare the sweet dish: stir brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into reserved polenta. Drizzle each of four dessert plates with 1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses.
10. Divide sweet creamy polenta between the four dishes.
11. Top each serving with chopped pecans, sprinkle with pomegranate arils (seeds) and drizzle with 11/2 teaspoons pomegranate syrup.
12. Serve warm or room temperature.
Calories 403 Calories from Fat 220
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.9%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.1 mg1.7%
Sodium 298.5 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.1%
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A 116.9% Vitamin C 15.7%
Calcium 12.7% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet