A Pavlova is a meringue dessert that has a really crisp shell and a marshmallowy soft center. And though in this recipe the Pavlova is dipped in dark chocolate and topped with sweet juicy strawberries, this dessert is still less than 150 calories! This perfect dessert with the right combination of ingredients is just the one win your 'calorie conscious' girlfriend's love!
2 Large, at room temperature
Cream of tartar
8 Tablespoon, divided (keep 1/2 tablespoon aside for strawberries)
2 Cup (32 tbs), quartered
Lemon juice/Balsamic vinegar
2 Ounce (a good quality one)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a stand mixer, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
4. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and whip until whites are stiff and glossy.
5. Gently whisk in cornstarch and vinegar. Don't over beat.
6. Spoon the meringue mixture into six separate piles on the lined baking sheet and smooth into disks with a spatula.
7. Reduce oven to 250 and bake for one hour.
8. Turn off oven, open door and let pavlovas cool to room temperature, about another hour.
8. Gently toss strawberries with remaining teaspoon sugar and lemon juice (or balsamic. Let stand for 30 minutes.
9. Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Dip the bottom of each pavlova into chocolate and return to parchment lined baking sheet.
10. Place pavlovas in refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 5 minutes.
11. Divide pavlovas among plates and top with strawberries.
I use whatever fruits are in season such as raspberries, blackberries or even peaches. You can even try tropical fruits such as papaya, banana, mango and kiwis for a change of pace.
A stand mixer is best for this recipe, but if you just have handheld beaters, getting to stiff peaks takes about 3 to 5 minutes.