Holiday Apple and Cheese Braid
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Granny smith apples||4 Cup (64 tbs), cored, peeled and chopped|
|Brown sugar||8 Tablespoon, divided (1/2 cup packed)|
|Almonds||3 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Frozen bread dough/Crescent roll dough||1 Pound, thawed|
|Brie cheese/Cheddar cheese||4 Ounce, cubed|
|Raisins||4 Tablespoon (1 tablespoon reserved for garnish)|
1. In a skillet over medium heat, melt one tablespoon butter.
2. Add in the apples, and sauté for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar and allow to cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Add in the almonds, stir to mix and set aside.
5. On a floured surface, roll dough out into a 15"x12" rectangle and place on a greased baking sheet.
6. Smear the apple mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough.
7. Arrange Brie sliced over the apples mixture and make diagonal cuts 1-1/2 inches apart on both sides of dough to within 1-1/2 inches of filling.
8. Alternately fold strips over filling with each strip overlapping.
9. Cover the baking sheet and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
10. Preheat the oven to 350F.
11. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter and stir in remaining brown sugar.
12. Brush the sugar butter mixture over risen loaf.
13. Sprinkle with raisins, lightly pressing them into dough.
14. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
16. Cut in slices and serve as desired.
Calories 369 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.6%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g23%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.2 mg7.4%
Sodium 357.1 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g19.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18%
Sugars 30.2 g
Protein 8 g15.5%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C 0.29%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet