Not Butter! Contest 2--Deep-Fried Macaroni and Cheese Bites--Comment to Enter!
|Uncooked elbow macaroni||8 Ounce|
|Butter substitute||3 Tablespoon (I Can't Believe it's Not Butter)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (all-purpose or self-rising)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fine dry breadcrumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For egg mixture|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
2. Line a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch Pyrex dish with plastic wrap, letting the wrap overhang from all sides.
3. Place a deep skillet over medium flame and melt butter substitute in it.
4. Gradually whisk in flour and cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
5. Slowly add milk, salt, ground red pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk constantly and cook for about 3 minutes or until nice and smooth.
6. Stir in cheese, cook until it melts and then add cooked macaroni. Give it a good mix.
7. Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into the lined baking dish and spread evenly. Let it sit at room temperature to cool slightly.
8. Cover the dish with the overhanging wrap and pop it in refrigerator to chill for 8 hours or overnight.
9. Remove the plastic wrap, and cut the mixture into 1-inch squares.
10. To make coating mix, in a shallow dish, mix together breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
11. In another bowl, beat egg with milk and set aside.
12. Dip macaroni squares, one at a time into the egg mixture, and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture.
13. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat about 1 inch of peanut oil to about 350 degree F.
14. Fry dredged macaroni squares in hot oil a few at a time, until golden brown. Remove from the pot and let them drain on paper towel.
15. Serve hot and enjoy!
Calories 224 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.5%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g27.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.4 mg17.5%
Sodium 452.4 mg18.8%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.74 g3%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 12 g24.5%
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 27.3% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet