Meringue mushrooms are the traditional decoration for a Buche de Noel (Yule log cake) but they also make a cute addition to your cookie repertoire. My method of attaching the tops to the stems is different from the usual instructions which call for making a small hole in the bottom of the mushroom cap, but I think you will find there is lot less breakage using my method. Watching the video will make this clear
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Cream of tartar
Semi sweet chococlates
1. Preheat the oven at 300° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl add in egg white and whisk with stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Until white and foamy.
3. Add in the cream of tartar and spin for 30 seconds.
4. Add in the sugar to the egg mixture gradually.
5. On half way through stop the mixer and scrape the sides of mixing bowl. Add in the remaining sugar to the mixture slowly.
6. Scrape the bowl and mix again for 10 seconds.
7. In a piping bag pour in the meringue mixture. Pipe up the mushroom caps over the parchment lined baking sheet. Damp fingers with water and press the peak of mushroom caps.
8. For making stem press the pipe and raise it.
9. In a tea strainer add in the cocoa powder and lightly dust over the meringue mushrooms with tap of a spoon.
10. Place the meringue tray in the preheated oven and turn the oven off and let it rest in the oven for 180 minutes.
11. Meanwhile in a bowl take chocolates and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Take out and stir the chocolate. Again place in the oven for 30 seconds. Take out the chocolate and stir well.
12. Take out the meringue from the oven and cut the top of the stem evenly.
13. With small off set spatula spread the chocolate over the underside of the mushroom cap, take stem and glue it on. Repeat the process.
14. Serve Meringue Mushroom Cookies with cakes and cookies to your guest.
Mushroom Shaped Meringue Cookies are a real surprise for anybody. Betty makes and presents it in such a neat way that it is difficult to say of these are cookies or real mushrooms. Take a look for yourself and see if you can take up the challenge to make these at home.