Learn step by step how to make Cod Fritters, a classic from the portuguese cuisine. The video includes all the tricks and secrets to have the perfect light and delicious batter, the perfect appetizer specially with a cold beer. Originally salted cod is used in the recipe but fresh cod works just as fine. Brazilians also loves this appetizer and usually have them at bars with a glass of chop (tap cold beer), this is a classic that I can't leave without!
Cod fish fillets
1 Pound, boiled in salted water
1 1⁄2 Medium
258 Milliliter (4 tablespoons for recipe and the rest for deep frying)
1⁄2 Small, finely chopped
3 Tablespoon, finely chopped
2 (egg whites separated from egg yolks)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For deep frying)
6 Cup (96 tbs)
1. In a pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the fish to cook for 7-10 minutes.
2. In another pan with 3 cups of water on the stove, add the potatoes with the skin on.
3. Place a clean cloth on the kitchen counter, place the cooked fish and fold the cloth oven. Now, using your hands shred the fish through the cloth.
4. In a skillet pan over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
5. Once done, add the cod. Turn off the heat and add the thyme.
6. Remove the potatoes off the stove and peel the skin.
7. Use a food mill to mash the potatoes.
8. Add the cooked fish mix along with the egg yolks and mix.
9. Add the salt, parsley and nutmeg.
10. Add the egg whites into a mixer with a pinch of salt and mix until hard peaks are formed.
11. Add 1/3 rd of the egg whites into the fish mix and fold. Once done, add the rest and fold well.
12. Roll the dough into balls. Refrigerate the balls for 20 minutes.
13. In a small skillet pan, heat 1/2 cup of olive oil and the canola oil.
14. Add the cod fritters into the hot oil and cook until brown.
15. Plate and serve along with lemon wedges.