Osso Buco Seasoned With Gremolata
|Onions||6 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Carrots||3 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Celery||2 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Meaty veal knuckle||7 Pound (8 two inch pieces of bone and marrow surrounded by meat)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Dry white wine||3⁄8 Pint|
|Beef stock/Chicken stock||1⁄4 Pint|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned whole tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, drained, coarsely chopped|
|Grated lemon peel||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Arrange a shallow, heavy flameproof casserole or case iron enamelled pan with a tight cover which can hold the veal pieces which are closely packed in 1 layer.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. In a casserole melt butter over medium heat.
4. When foam subsides add carrots, garlic, celery and chopped onion.
5. Cook for 15 minutes while stirring in between. Cook till vegetables are slightly colored.
6. Remove pan from heat when vegetables are lightly colored.
7. Add pepper and salt as seasonings. Roll the veal pieces in flour. Shake away the excess flour.
8. In a large and heavy frying pan add 6 tablespoons oil. Heat oil.
9. In the oil brown the veal pieces over medium heat. Brown them 5 pieces at a time. Add oil if needed.
10. In a casserole keep the browned pieces. Let them stand side by side on the vegetables.
11. Discard fat from pan. Leave a thin film in the bottom of the pan.
12. Pour wine. Boil very briskly over high flame, till the liquid reduces to 6 tablespoons. Scrape the browned bits which cling to pan.
13. Add tomatoes, parsley sprigs, bay leaves, stock, thyme and basil. Boil and pour the liquid on the veal.
14. Check if liquid is half way upwards towards the veal. Add stock if needed to raise the liquid.
15. On top of stove, boil the casserole.
16. Cover. Bake in the lower section of the oven while basting in between. Regulate the heat so that the casserole simmers very gently.
17. Check tenderness of veal in 75 minutes. Test by piercing the meat using a sharp knife.
18. Arrange veal pieces on a heated dish. Ladle the vegetables and sauce around.
19. Serve Osso Buco by topping it with gremolata - 1 piquant garnish prepared with grated lemon rinds and chopped parsley and garlic.
Tips for more elegant version of osso bucco
When meat is tender
1. Remove it from the casserole and raise the oven temperature to 450°F.
2. In a large ovenproof dish transfer the meat. Be careful not to lose the marrow.
3. On the top section of oven place the dish. Bake for 5-10 minutes, till the meat is deep brown in color and is glazed brightly.
4. In a medium size saucepan strain the casserole contents using a fine sieve. Press the vegetables to squeeze out all the juices, before discarding vegetables.
5. Boil braising liquid on high heat. Stir frequently till the liquid reduces to half of its original quantity.
6. Taste and season with pepper and salt.
7. Pour sauce over veal and sprinkle with gremolata.
Calories 1094 Calories from Fat 532
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.5%
Saturated Fat 19.2 g96%
Trans Fat 1.1 g
Cholesterol 327.3 mg109.1%
Sodium 566 mg23.6%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 113 g226.7%
Vitamin A 82.9% Vitamin C 45.2%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 75.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet