Cima Alla Genovese
|White bread slice||3 , crusts removed|
|Onions||2 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Boneless pork||4 Ounce, minced twice|
|Boneless veal||4 Ounce, minced twice|
|Fresh pork fat||4 Ounce, minced twice|
|Calf sweetbreads||1 Small, blanched for 10 minutes and finely chopped|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Fresh spinach||1⁄2 Pound, cooked, squeezed dry and chopped|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Shelled pistachio nuts||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Peas||6 Ounce (fresh or frozen)|
|Breast of veal||5 Pound, boned, sewn up on two sides to form a pocket for stuffing|
|Hard boiled eggs||3 , peeled|
|Veal breast bones and trimmings||1|
|Onion||1 , cut in half|
|Whole garlic cloves||3|
|Carrot||1 , peeled|
|Chicken stock/Water / a mixture of stock and water||5 Pint|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a dish add milk and soak bread in it for 10 minutes.
2. In a small heavy pan, melt the 1 oz. of butter.
3. Add chopped onions in butter and cook over moderate heat for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring, until they are transparent but not brown.
4. In a large bowl transfer the onions.
5. Add the minced pork, veal, pork fat, chopped sweetbreads,
grated Parmesan cheese, chopped spinach, marjoram, thyme, salt and the egg.
6. Knead the ingredients with hands or beat them with a wooden spoon until they are well mixed and fluffy.
7. Mix soaked bread with other ingredients after squeezing it so that they become dry.
8.Gently fold in the shelled pistachio nuts and peas.
9. Spread half of the stuffing evenly in the veal pocket.
10. On top of the stuffing arrange the hard-boiled eggs lengthwise in a row.
11. Spoon in the rest of the stuffing, covering the eggs completely.
12. Sew up the opening of the pocket, with a kitchen thread.
13. In a large saucepan, place the veal bones and trimmings, onion halves, garlic, cloves, carrots, bay leaf and parsley.
14. Top it with the stuffed veal.
15. Add enough stock or water to cover the meat completely.
16. Grind in a little black pepper.
17. Place the pan on heat, and bring to the boil.
18. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and simmer as gently as possible for about 1 1/4 hours, until the veal is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
19. In a heavy shallow dish transfer the veal. Cool to room temperature.
20. Refrigerate until the meat is thoroughly chilled.
21. Cut into 1/4-inch slices.
22. Serve Cima Alla Genovese chilled.