Scandinavian Yellow Pea Soup
|Yellow split peas||1 Pound|
|Lean bacon/Salt pork||1 Pound (In 1 Piece)|
|Celery stalks||1 Large, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Leeks||3 , cut into 1-inch pieces (With Tops)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Onions||3 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Canadian bacon||1 Pound|
|Ground thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Canned vienna sausages||24 Ounce, drained|
1. Take a bowl and add lots of water and soak peas in it. Allow it to stay overnight or quickly soak it and drain the water.
2. Take a large kettle and add peas and water into it and boil it over low heat.
3. Cover and simmer over medium heat for about an hour. Spoon off pea skins once they start floating on the top.
4. Stir in bacon, cover and cook over low heat for about 2 hours and stir occasionally until the peas become soft.
5. Stir in celery, leeks, carrots, potatoes and onions and cook over low heat for another half an hour.
6. Add thyme and Canadian bacon and continue cooking over low heat for another half an hour.
7. Stir in sausages and simmer for another 15 minutes.
8. If the soup is too thick then thin it by adding little more hot water.
9. Take out Canadian bacon and bacon and slice them and place them on a hot platter along with sausages as a soup accompaniment.