|Lean mutton/R stewing lamb||1 Pound (Middle Or Best End Mutton, 12 Ounce)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Cut the meat into neat pieces.
2) Peel and slice the potatoes and onions in 1/4 inch thick pieces.
3) Take a casserole with alternate layers of meat, onions and potato. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each layer and end with a layer of potato.
4) Add hot water to half fill the casserole.
5) Spread margarine in small pieces and cover the casserole. If there is no lid on casserole, spread margarine on greaseproof paper and place it on top of casserole.
6) Cook the casserole in the coolest part of the oven for 2 hours at 325 degrees or at gas mark 3, or a good 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees or at gas mark 4.
7) Remove lid in the last 20 minutes and brown the top.
8) Garnish Lancashire Hotpot with the chopped parsley.
Calories 247 Calories from Fat 78
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.7 mg10.6%
Sodium 122.6 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 19 g38.4%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 43.2%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet