|Lean mutton/R stewing lamb||1 Pound (Middle Or Best End Mutton, 12 Ounce)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Cut the meat into neat pieces.
2) Peel and slice the potatoes and onions in 1/4 inch thick pieces.
3) Take a casserole with alternate layers of meat, onions and potato. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each layer and end with a layer of potato.
4) Add hot water to half fill the casserole.
5) Spread margarine in small pieces and cover the casserole. If there is no lid on casserole, spread margarine on greaseproof paper and place it on top of casserole.
6) Cook the casserole in the coolest part of the oven for 2 hours at 325 degrees or at gas mark 3, or a good 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees or at gas mark 4.
7) Remove lid in the last 20 minutes and brown the top.
8) Garnish Lancashire Hotpot with the chopped parsley.