Danish Christmas Duck
|Duck||5 Pound (1 Duck, 5 Pound Or More)|
|Stoned prunes||6 Ounce|
|Orange||1⁄2 , rind grated|
|Brown stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Cornflour||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Double cream||2 Fluid Ounce|
1. Rinse duck out with cold water and dry thoroughly, prick breast with a fork and rub over with butter and seasoning.
2. For stuffing, peel and thickly slice apples and remove stones from soaked prunes.
3. In a bowl mix both with some grated orange rind and a little salt and sugar.
4. Stuff inside duck and sew up opening.
5. In oven heat oil add duck, baste thoroughly and roast for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours, basting frequently, adding a little stock half way through cooking.
6. When the duck is almost done, pour off pan drippings and brown bird in slightly hotter oven.
7. Put duck on to serving dish and keep hot.
8. Skim fat off roasting juices, add remaining stock and cook for a few minutes adding port or red wine (if available).
9. Mix cornflour with a little cold water, then spoon a little hot sauce into cornflour, return to pan and bring to the boil.
10. Then add cream and seasoning.
11. Serve with red cabbage and browned potatoes.