|For meringue shell:|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|For lemon fillling:|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 225 degrees.
2) With the help of a pencil, lightly draw a circle of 8-inches on a sheet of wax paper or foil. Place directly on a cookie sheet or cut out first.
3) To prepare the meringue shell, into a large, very clean bowl, out the egg whites.
4) With the help of a balloon whisk, beat the egg whites and salt till stiff peaks are formed. Beat in the granulated sugar very gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat the sugar well till it has thoroughly dissolved.
5) Sift together the superfine sugar and cornstarch and with the help of a large metal spoon, fold the mixture into the beaten egg whites very carefully. Fold in the vinegar finally.
6) Over the circle drawn on the paper, spread about a ¾-inch layer of the prepared meringue, on the cookie sheet.
7) Build the remainder of the meringue up in order to firm the sides of the shell, with the help of a spoon, rounded-bladed knife or a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip.
8) In the preheated oven, bake the meringue shell for about 1 ½ to 2 hours, till crisp and very lightly colored.
9) In the meantime, make the filling. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks till they are foamy. Beat in the superfine sugar very slowly, followed by the lemon juice and rind.
10) To the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set snugly over a saucepan of simmering water, transfer the mixture. Stir well till the mixture is thick and smooth. Once the mixture starts to slide cleanly straight from the spoon, the filling is ready. This usually takes about 10 minutes. Leave till quite cold.
11) Once the meringue is baked, take it out of the oven and let it cool slightly. Peel away the paper from the base very carefully.
12) On a flat serving plate, place the meringue shell and let it cool completely.
13) Whip the cream till thick and fold it into the cold lemon filling. Spoon the mixture into the center of the now cold meringue shell. Top with some lemon rind.
14) Serve the preparation right away, at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.