|Strudel pastry||1 (1 quantity)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 gram, plus little extra)|
|Whole wheat breadcrumbs||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Crisp dessert apples||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Raisins||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Flaked almonds||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon (10 milliliter)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated (5 milliliter)|
|Maple syrup||1 Teaspoon (5 milliliter)|
|Melted butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Malt extract||1 Teaspoon (5 milliliter)|
|Apple juice||1 Teaspoon (5 milliliter)|
1. Preheat oven to gas mark 6, 200°C (400°F).
2. In a pan melt butter and add breadcrumbs. Fry for 3 minutes until lightly toasted.
3. Slice the apples finely and mix with raisins, flaked almonds, cinnamon, lemon rind and maple syrup.
4. On a floured cloth pull dough thinly shaped like a rectangle.
5. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over it.
6. Cover with apple filling to within 1.5 cm (1/2 in) of the edges.
7. Brush dough edges with melted butter.
8. Fold the long side edges over the filling so they meet in the centre.
9. Roll strudel like a Swiss roll.
10. Lightly oil the baking sheet and arrange the sheet on it.
11. Brush top with little melted butter.
12. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
13. Take off from oven.
14. In a bowl mix malt extracts and concentrated apple juice.
15. Brush over the strudel.
16. Serve immediately.