Welsh Leek Pie
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced and rind grated|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cottage cheese/Cream cheese - 8 ounces||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Fine)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||3 Tablespoon|
|8 inch one crust pie pastry||1|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
2. Clean the leeks and chop its green and white parts into 1 - inch pieces.
3. Take a saucepan, add the chicken stock along with rind, lemon juice and butter and boil it.
4. Stir in leeks and cook over medium flame for about 12- 15 minutes, without covering the saucepan.
5. Take another bowl, add cream, eggs, cheese and beat well until creamy and stir in ½ cup of the cooking stock.
6. Stir in the cream mixture into the cooked leeks along with remaining stock.
7. Cook over low flame for few moments and keep on stirring until the mixture turns into the consistency of a light cream sauce.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Butter the pie plate and dust it with some fine bread crumbs. Layer a pastry and flute its edges.
10. Spoon the leek mixture over the pastry and spread it nicely.
11. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until the top gets golden brown and custard gets set.
12. Serve the Welsh Leek pie with ham.