Russian Potato Casserole with Caraway
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Whole meal flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Thinly sliced leeks||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Potatoes||4 , thinly sliced|
|Cottage cheese||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Set the oven to gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C) and heat it.
2. Take a skillet, add some margarine and heat it, add flour and make a roux. Cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add milk, and keep on cooking until the liquid blends well. Ensure that the mixture doesn-€™t turns lumpy.
4. Boil the sauce, simmer it gently for 3 minutes, so that it thickens and flour gets properly cooked.
5. Oil a large ovenproof dish and layer it with vegetables, cottage cheese and spoon the caraway seeds.
6. Season each layer and start and end with potato layer.
7. Spoon the sauce over it and bake for about 50-55 minutes until the potatoes turn soft. Or
8. Bake on microwave at full power for about 10-12 minutes and brown the top under conventional grill.
9. Serve the Russian Potato Casserole with Caraway seeds hot with pork roast.