Toasted Hungarian Cabbage
|Cabbage||3 Pound, finely chopped (1 Large Head)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Pound (1/2 Cup)|
|Fresh ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl mix cabbage with salt. Keep at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
2. Transfer into a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain and squeeze liquid.
3. In a wide frying pan melt butter and stir in cabbage.
4. Cook and stir uncovered over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes until cabbage is limp.
5. Mix sugar and pepper.
6. Cook until cabbage turns amber and looks crisp, stir frequently and gently.
7. Serve hot.
8. If made ahead, cover and chill; reheat in a frying pan over moderate heat.
Calories 333 Calories from Fat 205
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 14.7 g73.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61 mg20.3%
Sodium 1517.9 mg63.2%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.6 g34.4%
Sugars 22.1 g
Protein 5 g9.3%
Vitamin A 20.9% Vitamin C 207.6%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet