|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Veal shanks||2 Pound, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and minced|
|Carrot||1 , scraped and minced|
|Celery stalk||1 , minced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and minced|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon/1/2 cup water with 1 bouillon cube||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned whole tomatoes||12 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
1) In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
2) In the mixture, toss the veal shanks till they are well coated.
3) Heat half of the oil in a large skillet placed over moderate-high heat.
4) Brown the veal on all sides, a few pieces at a time, till they are deeply colored and crusty looking.
5) Place another skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the remaining oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
6) Into a slow cooker, turn the vegetables.
7) Top with the veal. Stand the meat in such a way that the marrow stays inside the bone when it starts to tenderize.
8) Into one of the skillets, pour the wine and scrape up the pan juice.
9) Over the contents of the slow cooker, pour the wine and bouillon. Add the drained tomatoes, basil and rosemary.
10) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
11) If the sauce appears to be too thin before serving, simmer it gently in a skillet till it has thickened. Check the seasoning and, if required, add salt and pepper.
12) Transfer the hot preparation to a decorative serving plate and serve while still piping hot. Makes a good main course dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2473 Calories from Fat 1315
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 148 g228%
Saturated Fat 25 g125%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 680.4 mg226.8%
Sodium 2670.8 mg111.3%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.5%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 187 g374.4%
Vitamin A 259.1% Vitamin C 84%
Calcium 41.8% Iron 79.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet