Classic French Beef Stroganoff
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced green onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef tenderloin/Sirloin||2 Pound, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips|
|Madeira||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||15 Tablespoon (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. In a frying pan heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter.
2. SautÃ© mushrooms in it for 5 minutes until light brown.
3. Add onions and stir fry for another minute.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over it.
5. Transfer mushrooms in a bowl.
6. Keep meat on paper towels to absorb moisture.
7. In a frying pan heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil until butter foam settles.
8. Add beef in batches and sautÃ© for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
9. Transfer beef into a separate bowl.
10. Into the frying pan add Madeira and bouillon. Boil rapidly and scrape up browned particles.
11. Reduce liquid to about 1/3 cup.
12. In a bowl mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cream.
13. Add remaining cream and beat.
14. Add cornstarch mixture and beat.
15. Cook and simmer for 1 minute.
16. Add sautÃ©ed mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
17. The sauce should be thick.
18. Adjust seasonings to taste.
19. Stir in meat to sauce and heat briefly.
20. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Calories 498 Calories from Fat 311
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.1%
Saturated Fat 16.9 g84.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 169 mg56.3%
Sodium 370.4 mg15.4%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.61 g2.4%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 36 g72.1%
Vitamin A 20.1% Vitamin C 8.8%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet