Apricot Meringue Pie
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon, rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||5 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dried apricots||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked, pureed|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
|Almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), slivered, toasted|
1) Preheat the oven to 275F.
2) To make the meringue shell:
3) In a bowl, beat the egg whites till they become frothy.
4) Add in salt and vinegar. Beat to form stiff peaks.
5) Add in sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Beat well after adding sugar each time.
6) Transfer the mixture into a greased and floured 9" glass pie pan.
7) With a spoon or pastry tube, make ruffled edges along the sides of the rim of the pan.
8) Bake for about 45 minutes.
9) Let the shell remain in the oven for about 30 more minutes, with the oven turned off.
10) Let the shell cool down completely before filling with the pie filling.
To make the pie filling:
11) Into a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of water.
12) Sprinkle gelatin into the water and let stand till the gelatin dissolves.
13) In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, lemon rind and lemon juice.
14) Beat the mixture well. Add in sugar and beat once more.
15) Transfer the mixture to a double boiler set up. Place it over boiling water.
16) Cook the mixture, while stirring continously, till it becomes very thick.
17) Add in the softened gelatin into the egg mixture. Stir the mixture till the gelatin dissolves.
18) Add in the pureed apricots. Let the mixture cool down.
19) Fold in the whipped cream into the apricot mixture.
20) Turn the filling into the meringue shell.
21) Chill the Apricot Meringue Pie overnight.
22) Serve the Apricot Meringue Pie garnished with slivered almonds.