Irish Soda Bread
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||5 Tablespoon (3 tbsp for dough, 2 tbsp for glaze)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried currants||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Hot water||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium size bowl, sift flour and add 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add currents, buttermilk and blend until dough becomes sticky and gooey.
2. On a floured pastry board, place the dough and knead constantly for 5 minutes.
3. Shape the dough into an 8 inch loaf and place on the baking sheet.
4. With a sharp knife, make a cross on the top of the dough.
5. In a moderate oven, bake at 375 Degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven.
6. To make the drizzle, dissolve sugar in hot water. Stir till dissolved.
7. Spread the sugar water glaze over the loaf generously. Re-bake in the oven for 10 minutes until a golden tint is formed on the surface.
8. Serve warm with a hot cup of tea or coffee