Almond Meringue Torte
|Cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 stick)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted slivered (from a 5- ounce can)|
|Cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for whipping)|
|10x confectioners' powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease and dust bottom of two 8X1 1/2-inch cake pans and dust with flour.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking flour and salt.
4) In a large bowl, beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer at medium speed.
5) Slowly add sugar, beating continuously until fluffy.
6) While still beating, add in eggs, one at a time, until blended.
7) Add vanilla to egg mixture.
8) Fold in flour mixture, alternately with milk, just until blended.
9) Turn out the egg mixture into the baking pans.
10) In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy-white.
11) While still beating add in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue stands in firm peaks.
12) Divide the flour batter equally in each pan.
13) Transfer 1/3 of the meringue over the batter in each pan.
14) Gently press remaining meringue through a pastry bag, to make rosettes around edge and in center of one layer.
15) Dredge both layers with almonds.
16) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
17) Place the pan on the wire racks and allow to cool the layers for 5 minutes.
18) Using a knife loosen the edges and turn out each cakes onto palm of hand.
19) Place the cakes on wire rack meringue side up and allow to cool completely.
20) In a bowl, beat cream, sugar and cinnamon until stiff.
21) Arrange the meringue layer on serving plate, smear with cream mixture.
22) Top the cake with fancy layer and place in refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
23) Serve chilled.