Almond Meringue Torte
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground almonds||3 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package, 100 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Chestnut puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Icing sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sifted|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) pie plates.
2. Preheat the oven at300°F (150°C).
3. In a bowl combine bread crumbs with 2 tbsp (25 ml) of the ground almonds and divide between two greased pie plates.
4. Shake to coat sides and bottoms, letting any extra mixture remain on bottoms and set aside.
5. In a bowl combine remaining 1 cup (250 mL) ground almonds, baking powder and salt and set aside.
6. In mixing bowl, cream butter and beat adding 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the sugar until fluffy.
7. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
8. Beat in almond mixture, almond extract and milk.
9. Divide between prepared pie plates, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
10. In bowl, beat egg whites, egg whites until soft peaks form.
11. Beat in remaining sugar until stiff and glossy.
12. Spread evenly over each torte, then sprinkle 1/2 cup 1125 mL) sliced almonds over each one.
13. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean and meringue is golden.
14. Run knife around edges.
15. Let it cool and remove from pans.
For the Topping:
16. In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat chestnut puree until smooth.
17. Gradually- beat in sugar and brandy.
18. In separate bowl, whip cream and fold into chestnut mixture.
19. On a serving plate place 1 torte and spread with half of the chestnut mixture.
20. Top with second torte, mound remaining chestnut mixture on top and serve.
Calories 860 Calories from Fat 494
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.8%
Saturated Fat 23.3 g116.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 272.8 mg90.9%
Sodium 350.3 mg14.6%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.3%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28%
Sugars 43.4 g
Protein 17 g34.1%
Vitamin A 10.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 27% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet