Middle neck of lamb - 1 1/2 lb [750 g], trimmed
Sheep-€™s kidneys - 2
Large onions - 2, peeled
Stock - 1/2 pint [250 ml]
Salt and pepper
1) Cut the potatoes into thick slices.
2) Slice the onion and cut the lamb and kidneys into small pieces.
3) In a greased casserole, arrange layers of the meat and vegetables and season. Allow the topmost layer to be potatoes.
4) Pour in the stock or water and place a lid or aluminum foil over the casserole.
5) Place in oven for about 2 1/2 hours at 325°F (170°C), Gas Mark 3. Bake with lid off during the last 1/2 hour to allow the potatoes to brown.
6) If the potatoes seem to be drying while baking, then pat on some butter.
7) Lancashire Hotpot goes great with steamed vegetables.