Hungarian Kettle Stew
Vegetable Oil or Bacon Fat- 2 tablespoons
Water- 1 1/2 cups
Onions- 2 medium, chopped
Garlic- 1 clove, minced
Potatoes- 4 medium, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt- 1 teaspoon
Tomato Paste- 1 tablespoon
Paprika- 1 tablespoon
Caraway Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes- 2 medium, coarsely chopped
Green Peppers- 2 medium, cubed
All-Purpose Flour- 3 tablespoons, mixed to a paste, in 3 tablespoons cold water
Sour Cream- 1/2 cup
Parsley- for garnish (optional)
1) In a large non-stick pan heat oil and brown beef.
2) Put the beef in slow cooker.
3) Pour off the excess fat from the pan.
4) In the same pan, heat ½ cup of water and stir to remove the browned bits.
5) Pour the bits over the meat, and add onions, garlic, potatoes, salt, tomato paste, paprika, caraway seeds and remaining water.
6) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 hours.
7) Stir in the tomatoes and green peppers before last 5 minutes of cooking.
8) Put 3 tablespoon of gravy from cooker into a saucepan.
9) Stir the flour-water paste, in the gravy.
10) Simmer the gravy, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
11) Whisk in the sour cream and heat to boil.
12) Pour the gravy mixture into meat and vegetable mixture.
13) Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
14) Serve hot over the bed of rice garnished with chopped parsley if desired.