Home Made Pumpernickel Bread
Corn Meal- 3/4 cups
Boiling Water- 1-1/2 cups
Salt- 1 tablespoon
Sugar- 2 tablespoons
Oil- 2 tablespoons
Caraway Seeds- 1 tablespoon
Mashed Potatoes- 2 cups
Yeast- 1 envelope(dissolved in a little warm water)
Rye Flour- 4 cup, mixed with White Flour- 4-1/4 cups
Butter- for greasing
Flour- for dusting
1) Lightly coat 3 loaf pans and 1 bowl with butter.
2) Preheat the oven to 425°F
3) In a saucepan, mix corn meal with water.
4) Stir in boiling water and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
5) Add salt, sugar, oil, and caraway.
6) Remove for heat and allow to cool until mixture is lukewarm.
7) Mix in potatoes and yeast.
8) Knead in both the flours, until the dough is smooth
9) Dust flour on working table and knead the dough well.
10) Put dough in greased bowl, brush the top with butter and allow to double in size.
11) Knock the dough with knuckles and divide into 3 buttered loaf pans.
12) Let the dough rise again until doubled in volume.
13) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
14) Lower the temperature to 350° and bake for 50 minutes more, until light browned on top.
15) Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
16) Turn out on wire rack and leave until cooled completely.
17) Slice and serve warm with butter.