Lemon Meringue Pie With Crisco Pastry
Sugar - 1 cup
Flour - 1/4 cup
Cornstarch - 3 tablespoons
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Water - 2 cups
Egg yolks - 3, beaten
Butter or Margarine - 1 tablespoons
Lemon peel - 1 teaspoon, grated
Lemon juice - 1/4 cup
Egg whites - 3
Sugar - 6 tablespoons
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 425 degrees.
2) Bake the pastry as directed and cool it.
3) Combine together 1 cup of sugar, the flour, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Add the water and stir well.
4) Cook and stir the mixture over moderate heat till it is thick and clear.
5) Add some hot mixture to a egg yolks, mix well and return the entire concoction to the hot mixture.
6) Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
7) Take the mixture off the heat and blend in the lemon peel, juice and butter.
8) Pour the mixture into the prepared pastry shell.
9) Beat the egg whites till soft peaks start to form.
10) Add the 6 tablespoons of sugar vey gradually and beat till stiff peaks are formed.
11) Spread the mixture over the hot filling.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, till brown in color.
13) Put the hot pie on a serving platter and slice into wedges. Serve warm, at room temperature or slightly chilled. Makes a excellent dessert.