Casserole Of Pigeons
|Fat bacon/Fat from a cooked ham||1⁄4 Pound, diced|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Onions/Shallot about the size of a hazelnut||1 1⁄2 Small|
|Fleurons of pastry/Sippets of fried bread||8|
|Olives/Cherries heated in stock parsley||8 , stoned|
|Forcemeat balls||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Clean the bird and cut in half. Remove the feet.
2. In a pan add butter and heat until it browns.
3. Stir in diced bacon fat and fry till crisp. Drain out the bacon.
4. Add the bird and brown on both sides. Discard the fat.
5. Add flour to it and stir gently until brown.
6. Pour stock over it, add seasonings and bouquet garni.
7. Bring the mixture to a boil.
8. Add onions to it and cook bacon and pigeons tightly covered for 30 minutes until done.
9. Mix sliced mushrooms and forcemeat balls and cook for 15 minutes.
10. Put the meat on a hot dish and adjust seasoning in the sauce.
11. Strain a little sauce around the bird.
12. Pass remaining sauce in a hot sauce boat.
13. Garnish with fleurons of pastry, olives or cherries, and the forcemeat balls.
14. Sprinkle chopped parsley over it.