Chocolate Almond Meringues
|Powdered sugar||12 Tablespoon, sifted|
|Unsweetened cocoa||2 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped, divided|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable cooking spray||1|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 300 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites till they start to form soft peaks.
3) Combine together the cocoa and sugar and then add the mixture gradually to the egg whites, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well till stiff peaks start to form.
4) Fold in the ¼ cup of almonds as well as the almond extract.
5) Onto cookie sheets coated with cooking spray, drop the almond mixture by teaspoonfuls. Space them 1-inch apart.
6) Sprinkle the remaining almonds all over.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, till set.
8) Cool the cookies slightly while they are still on the cookie sheet and remove then to wire racks gently. Cool completely.
9) Store the cookies in an airtight container.
10) Serve the almond cookies as and when preferred. These make an excellent snack as well as tea/coffee accompaniment.