Pineapple Meringue Torte
|White sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated into yolks and whites|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sieved|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped pineapple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whipped cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Pre heat an oven at 162.5C (325F).
2. In a small bowl, sieve together 2 tablespoons flour and baking powder. Keep aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks. Keep aside.
4. In a medium sized bowl, combine ½ cup sugar and butter. Beat well using a wooden spoon till creamed.
5. Add egg yolks, ½ cup flour and milk. Fold using a rubber spatula.
6. Add remaining flour-baking powder mixture and fold in gently.
7. Divide batter equally and pour into 2 individual 8 inch baking tins. Keep aside,
8. In a medium sized bowl, place egg whites and beat well.
9. Once stiff, add in remaining sugar and vanilla and beat once.
10. Spread this egg white mixture evenly on batter in both tins and top with nuts.
11. Bake in pre heated oven for 25 minutes or till meringue is pale golden brown in colour and cooked.
12. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
13. Demould cakes and place one cake (meringue side facing down) on a serving plater.
14. Top with fruits and whipped cream.
15. Place other cake (meringue side facing up) on top of whipped cream.
16. Cut into slices and serve immediately.
To make Strawberry Meringue torte, replace pineapple with strawberries.