|Butter||6 Ounce, softened|
|Icing sugar||5 Ounce, sifted|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce|
|Red currant||6 Ounce, warmed|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (extra, for sprinkling, to finish)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) In a bowl, put the butter, icing sugar, egg yolk and vanilla essence. Beat well together will the mixture is light and fluffy.
3) Sift in the flour and then fold it in, along with the ground almonds till the ingredients are all evenly blended.
4) Knead the mixture to a smooth dough. Chill it in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
5) On a floured surface, roll out the dough thinly. Cut out about 40 rounds from it with the help of a 1 to 1 ½-inch cutter.
6) On a baking sheet, place the dough rounds. Space them appropriately.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, till golden.
8) Put the baked dough rounds on a wire rack and let them cool.
9) With warm redcurrant jelly, sandwich the rounds together in pairs.
10) To freeze the cookies, flash freeze them first, pack in a rigid container (separate each layer with foil), seal, label and store in the freezer.
11) To serve the cookies without freezing, place them on a serving platter and serve after sprinkling with some icing sugar, if preferred. If using frozen cookies, first thaw them at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours and then serve. These make a good snack, tea/coffee accompaniment, or even a dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3175 Calories from Fat 1398
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 159 g244.4%
Saturated Fat 89.3 g446.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 550.8 mg183.6%
Sodium 35.1 mg1.5%
Total Carbohydrates 399 g132.9%
Dietary Fiber 16.8 g67.1%
Sugars 167.3 g
Protein 42 g83.7%
Vitamin A 90.8% Vitamin C 116.2%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 85.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet