|Fresh yeast/2 teaspoons dried yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Caster sugar||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Butter||6 Ounce, softened|
|Almond paste||2 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , beaten (for glaze)|
|Raspberry jam||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 425 degrees.
2) To make the Danish pastry dough, blend together the fresh yeast with cold water. In case dried yeast is being used, warm the water, dissolve about ½ teaspoon of sugar in it and then sprinkle it all over the yeast.
3) Leave the mixture in a warm place for about 15 minutes and then add the sugar and egg.
4) Into a warmed bowl, sift the flour and salt. Makes a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture.
5) On a floured surface, lightly knead the dough till it is smooth.
6) In a lightly greased plastic bag, place the dough and leave it to rest in a cool place for about 10 minutes.
7) Beat the butter till it gets a spreading consistency and then shape it into a rectangle that is about ½-inch thick.
8) Roll out the dough to a square of about 10-inches and put the butter in the center. Fold over the dough, sides to middle, and enclose the butter, the dough overlapping by about ½-inch.
9) Roll the butter and dough into a strip that is about 18x6-inches thick.
10) Fold the Danish pastry dough evenly in three and then out it back in the plastic bag. Rest for another 10 minutes each time.
11) To make the Windmills, roll out the dough to a strip of 18x16-inches on a floured surface.
12) Cut the strip into 4 inch squares and place them on a baking sheet.
13) In the center of each square, place some almond paste and brush the paste with some beaten egg.
14) Cut from the corners of every square to the center. Fold one corner of each triangle to the center. Press the points firmly into the almond paste in the center.
15) Brush the squares all over with beaten egg.
16) With a greased plastic sheet, cover the pastries and let them stand in a fairly warm place for 10 to 15 minutes, till puffy.
17) Take off the sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, till golden in color and well risen.
18) Put the preparation on a wire rack and let the puffs cool.
19) In the center of each pastry, put some raspberry jam.
20) If you wish to freeze the pastries, first flash freeze till firm and then pack in a rigid container. Separate each layer with foil. Seal, label and store in the freezer.
21) To serve the Windmills without freezing, place them on a decorative serving platter and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. If using frozen pastries, first thaw them at room temperature for about 2 hours and then serve for breakfast if you like.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2546 Calories from Fat 1453
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 166 g255.2%
Saturated Fat 92.3 g461.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 788.7 mg262.9%
Sodium 424.9 mg17.7%
Total Carbohydrates 226 g75.2%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36.2%
Sugars 45.4 g
Protein 43 g85.5%
Vitamin A 94.8% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 22.6% Iron 74.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet