Chicory Belgian Endive With Cheese And Ham
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Cooked ham slices||4|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||1 Ounce|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a pan, bring salted water to a boil, with lemon juice.
3) Place the chicory in the boiling water and simmer for 25 minutes.
4) Pour of the liquid, reserving 1 1/4 cups .
5) In a saucepan, melt the butter and blend in the flour, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6) Take the pan away from heat and gently stream in the milk and the reserved cooking liquid.
7) Return to the heat, allow the flour mixture to boil and reduce the heat and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
8) Stir in cheese, seasoning and the nutmeg.
9) Place each chicory wrapped in a slice of ham, in an individual heatproof serving dish and cover with sauce.
10) Dredge with cheese and breadcrumbs, dot with bitter and bake for 15 minutes or until light browned and heated through.
11) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Wrap the each head of chicory in a ham slice and place in plastic container.
12) Stream over the sauce.
13) Allow to cool, seal, label and freeze the container.
14) Serve hot sprinkled with chopped parsley if desired.
15) If using frozen chicory, reheat from frozen, uncovered, in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes.
16) For finishing follow step 9.
17) Serve as mentioned in step 13.