Russian Veal Balls
|For veal balls|
|Vegetable oil||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoons)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled, finely chopped|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Lean veal||3⁄4 Pound, minced (350 gram)|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dill seeds||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Flour||4 Tablespoon (for coating)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Sliced mushrooms||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Chicken stock||3⁄4 Pint (450 milliliter)|
|Soured cream||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. To make the veal balls in a flameproof casserole dish, heat 1 x 15 ml spoon/ 1 tablespoon oil and fry the onion gently until soft.
3. With a slotted spoon remove from the casserole and mix stirring well in a bowl with the breadcrumbs, veal, garlic powder, dill and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into balls with lightly floured hands.
5. In the casserole, heat the remaining oil and the butter add the veal balls and fry until browned on all sides.
6. Drain on paper towels.
7. To make the sauce add the mushrooms to the casserole and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then gradually stir in the stock.
9. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then simmer until the sauce thickens.
10. Return the veal balls to the casserole, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
11. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool quickly. Leave in the casserole or transfer to a rigid container. Cover, then wrap the casserole in a freezer bag or foil. Seal, label and freeze.
12. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
13. Reheat in the covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven for 1 hour or until heated through.
14. Serve with the soured cream.
Calories 407 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.9%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g47.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 62.6 mg20.9%
Sodium 338.6 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.8%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 16 g31.3%
Vitamin A 4.7% Vitamin C 7.4%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 12%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet