|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (105ﾰ-115ﾰF)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 package)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs), sifted|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 stick)|
|Seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs) (light or dark)|
|Candied peel||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped (lemon or orange)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Confectioners' sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Golden rum||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Colored crystal sugar||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease a 9-by-4-inch tube pan
3. Prepare the glaze by combining the confectioner-€™s sugar, rum and cream in a small bowl.
4. Sprinkle the yeast on to a large bowl filled with warm water and set aside to rise.
5. Add the granulated sugar, salt, egg yolks, and 2 cups of flour to the yeast mixture and beat with a portable electric mixer at high speed till smooth. This will take 4 minutes
6. Add ½ cup butter to the liquid and mix well again
7. Gradually beat in the rest of the flour and mix well with a rubber spatula as the dough will start to come together.
8. Turn this dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let this stand for 10 minutes. Knead the dough after 10 minutes till it is no longer sticky. This will take 10 minutes
9. Place the dough in a large greased bowl and then turn it greased side up. Cover with towel and then let it rise in a warm place free from drafts until it doubles in size. This will take 1-1/2 hours
10. Punch the dough and add the raisins, peels and walnuts and mix well by hand.
11. Turn out the dough onto a floured pastry cloth and shape into a round smooth ball. Use your finger to poke a 1-inch hole in center of dough and place in the baking pan.
12. Brush the top with melted butter, cover with a towel and let it rise again till it has doubled in size and spread out over the top of the pan. This will take 1-1/2 hours. Pop it into a hot oven and bake for 40-45 minutes till done. Remove from the oven and set it on a wire rack for 5 minutes to cool. This cake freezes well if it is wrapped with foil and frozen.
13. Just before serving, remove from the freezer and pop into a hot 400F oven.
14. Serve hot covered with the glaze. Sprinkle on colored sugar if required
Calories 576 Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.5%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 142.6 mg47.5%
Sodium 206.2 mg8.6%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g31.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 45.7 g
Protein 9 g18.8%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 15.6%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet