Irish Style Chuck Roast
|Boneless chuck roast||3 1⁄2 Pound (About 2-Inches Thick)|
|Condensed golden mushroom soup||21 1⁄2 Ounce (2 Cans, 10 3/4 Ounces Each, Campbell's Brand)|
|Chopped canned tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cabbage||1 Small, shredded|
1. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, heat the shortening.
2. When hot but not smoking, sear the meat in shortening, on both sides to seal the juices within the roast.
3. Drain off the fat.
4. Pour the soup over meat and let the tomatoes join the meat.
5. Stir in the horseradish and celery seed.
6. Reduce the heat, cover the casserole with its lid and simmer the meat for 2 ¼ hours.
7. Let the potatoes and cabbage join the meat and continue to stew it covered for another 30 minutes until both meat and vegetables are tender.
8. Slice the roast into serving portions and serve with the gravy and vegetables.