|All-purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened (Use 1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Blanched whole almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), halved|
|Chopped candied cherries||2 Ounce (Both Red And Green, Cut In Bits)|
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. On a waxed sheet of paper, sift the flour, baking powder and the salt and set aside till required.
3. In another large bowl, tip in the butter and the sugar and vanilla and mix well.
4. Add the almond extract to the mixing bowl and mix well.
5. The dough will be stiff. Divide it into two parts and roll out one half of the dough between two sheets of waxed papers to make a 7 1/2-inch square.
6. Cut the square into 25 squares or diamonds and decorate each nut half with bits of cherry
7. Place the cut pastry on to an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes till done.
8. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat the process till all of the dough is used up. Store the extra cookies in a cool dry place till required.
9. Serve immediately