Baked Rhubarb Meringue
|Fresh rhubarb||2 Pound|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Quick-cooking tapioca||5 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Rinse the rhubarb and slice into 2-inch slices.
3) In a large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, salt and lemon rind together.
4) Toss the mixture with rhubarb, until thoroughly coated.
5) In a 6-cup casserole, turn the rhubarb mixture and dot with butter.
6) Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
7) Uncover, stir to blend in the melted butter and bake for another 25 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender.
8) In a bowl, combine the egg whites and salt together to prepare the meringue.
9) Beat the egg mixture until soft peaks are formed.
10) Then gradually beat in the sugar, until stiff.
11) Cover with the meringue and bake in the oven at 325°F for 20 minutes, or until brown.
12) Serve the Baked Rhubarb Meringue on individual serving plates.