Danish Spice Cookies
|Cake flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), sieved|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Teaspoon|
|All spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Clove powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (1 1/2 Sticks)|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Tablespoon, boiled|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), blanched and finely chopped|
|Orange peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Decoration)|
|Candied cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Decoration)|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (For Greasing)|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (For Dusting And Rolling)|
1. In a large glass bowl, combine cake flour, cinnamon powder, allspice powder, clove powder and cardamom powder. Sieve this mixture and keep aside.
2. In a large saucepan, add butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and mix well.
3. Cook over a medium flame, while stirring continuously.
4. Once the sugar melts, remove from flame. Ensure that at this stage, the mixture is just hot enough and not boiling.
5. In a small glass bowl, combine boiled water and baking soda.
6. Add this to the butter- sugar mixture and mix well.
7. Transfer contents to another large bowl and keep aside to cool.
8. Add finely chopped almonds and grated orange peel to this lukewarm mixture.
9. Finally, add flour little by little and mix well.
10. Once all the flour has been mixed in, clingwrap prepared dough and refrigerate overnight.
11. Grease baking trays using butter.
12. Preheat oven to 187.5C (375F).
13. Remove refrigerated dough and divide into 4 equal parts.
14. Keeping aside one portion of dough, refrigerate rest remaining 3 till required to be rolled out.
15. Dust working surface with flour, place the dough and roll into a thin 10 inch sqare.
16. Using a cookie cutter, cut diamond (3 ½ inch) and round (2 ½ inch) shapes and place on greased baking trays.
17. Decorate each shape with candied cherry and blanched almonds.
18. Follow same procedure with the remaining dough and dough trimmings to make around 8 dozen cookies.
19. Bake these in the pre heated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or till pale brown in colour.
20. Keep aside to cool.
21. Serve warm with milk.
Store cookies in air tight containers in a cool and dry place away from humidity to keep them fresh.