A Russian Delight
|White and wild rice mix||4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Chicken livers||1 Pound|
|Medium mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Green vegetables||10 Ounce, frozen (Like Asparagus, Green Beans, Peas)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rolls||2 Ounce (Packaged)|
|Fresh spinach||1 Pound, washed, crisped|
|Prepared salad dressing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Pint|
1) Cook the wild rice as per its packet instructions. Reserve 1/2 packet of the seasoning mix.
2) Slice the bacon into 1-inch pieces. In a heavy skillet, saute the bacon slices till they become crisp. Drain on paper towels.
3) Retain 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings in the skillet. Drain the livers and add into the skillet. Saute the livers for 10 minutes till they brown on all sides.
4) Wash, drain and slice the mushrooms. Add into the sauteing chicken livers. Saute for 2 more minutes. Add in the seasoning mix and 1 cup of water. Place a lid on and cook on simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Remove the pineapple frond, peel and slice into 1-inch thick pieces. Cube it removing the core any eyes.
6) Wash and drain the strawberries. Remove their stems and arrange the strawberries and pineapple in a brandy snifter. Add in 1/4 cup of orange juice. Freeze for 30 minutes.
7) Cook the frozen green vegetables and peas in a pot of boiling water as per their packet instructions.
8) Pull the stems off the spinach and break the leaves into a salad bowl. Add in the bacon pieces.
9) Heat the rolls and set aside.
10) Add in the flour into 1/4 cup of water to make a smooth paste. Add into the chicken liver and mushroom mixture. Let it come to a boil. Turn down the flame and stir till the mixture thickens. Gently fold in 3/4 cups of sour cream. Heat not low without let the mixture boil.
11) Plate the wild rice. Spoon the liver and mushroom mixture over the rice. Garnish with fresh dill.
12) Serve the spinach with a drizzle of the prepared salad dressing.
13) On another platter serve the boiled vegetables. Place the dinner rolls on the side.
14) Serve the chilled pineapple, strawberries and orange juice mix.