Apricot Suedoise with Meringues
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Pound, soaked overnight in 1 1/2 pints boiling water|
|Lemon rind strips||1 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce|
|Gelatin||1 Tablespoon (Rounded Tablespoon)|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce|
|Vanilla flavoring||1 Teaspoon|
1) In a saucepan, add the apricots and lemon rind and cook till soft in the liquid in which they were soaked.
2) Rub through a sieve or strainer.
3) Measure the puree and add water to bring the quantity to 1 1/2 pints with water.
4) Transfer to the pan with sugar and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
5) In a bowl, add gelatin to the water and gently dissolve over heat.
6) Mix into the fruit puree and cool.
7) Transfer into a wet souffle dish or cake tin and refrigerate for several hours.
8) For the meringues, whisk egg whites till stiff.
9) For 1 minute, beat 1 dessertspoon of the sugar into the whites, till the consistency of satin.
10) Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the remaining sugar.
11) Scoop up the mixture on a baking sheet lined with nonstick silicone cooking paper.
12) Flick up the mixture into peaks, or pipe out into small meringues.
13) Place in oven on low heat for 45 minutes at 250°F or Mark 1/2 till dry and crisp.
14) Turn jelly out on to a serving dish and cover with vanilla flavored whipped cream, then with the meringues.
15) Serve as desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2663 Calories from Fat 1102
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 123 g188.5%
Saturated Fat 0.05 g0.27%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 149.2 mg6.2%
Total Carbohydrates 378 g126.1%
Dietary Fiber 18.1 g72.6%
Sugars 351.8 g
Protein 31 g61.4%
Vitamin A 163.6% Vitamin C 36%
Calcium 15.8% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet